Friday, July 16, 2004

New PC!

Just built an insanely powerful PC. Yeah, I'm an Apple guy, and my Powerbook is still the best computer I've ever owned and I still spend 90% of my computing time on my Mac, but a PC comes in handy, too, and I live in the real world. It's a dual Opteron 2.2 Ghz CPUs with 1 GB registered DDR PC2700 ram, Radeon 9800 Pro 128, on an MSI K8T Master2 motherboard. Oh, running Windows XP, which sucks.

I just ran 3dMark, and got 5984, which is about 1000 above a single processor computer with the same video card.. In the Far Cry demo, at 1280x1024 with everything set to max detail, I get 45-50 fps, almost double a single processor. I'll run tests on Metal of Honor, Halo, UT 2004, and Quake 3 later today, come back for the numbers. I'm sticking to my Mac for non-game stuff, so there.

While I am looking forward to Doom 3 and Half-Life 2, this machine will ultimately be a Home Theater PC with ATI's HDTV Wonder card, giving me Tivo functionality and an online channel guide (press a button and record all the episodes of South Park, for example), resolution doubler to bring DVDs up to 1080p (about 8 times the detail currently in DVDs) and a High Definition channel receiver. Eventually I'll buy 2 serial ATA 250GB hard drives and stripe them, plus a new case with ultra quiet fans, but that $$$$$ I don't have at the moment. Not that I watch that much TV, or even own an HDTV... come to think of it, I'm not entirely sure why I built this thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home