Monday, July 26, 2004

So I broke down and saw Fahrenheit 9/11...

...a good friend of mine asked me to go, and I felt my ticket won't make Moore that much richer, right?

The movie is pretty much what I expected, but I did go in there with an open mind. It's my money, I wanted to have a good time. If you don't know shit about what Moore is talking about and taking everything as presented, I can see how people could get freaked out. It paints a picture of a "vast right-wing conspiracy" with George W as the goofy evil leader. Moore isn't too subtle or sophisticated in making his points, and the backbone of the film is more emotional than logical or intellectual. I felt like I was watching a hard-core conspiracy film, and wondered if true democrats were laughing at the simplicity of the whole thing. The film definitely wears its opinion on its sleeve, the sleeve of a gaudy, fucked up multicolor jumper suit from a retirement community in Vegas.

The best moments are when Moore drives around Washington in an ice cream truck reading the Patriot Act from a loud-speaker, or the look on Senators' faces when he asked them to send their children to fight in Iraq. The low points are so bad they're funny, like when Moore shows Iraq children flying kites in Baghdad before our invasion.

I don't believe that Moore is so stupid as to believe everything he says in the film. I think he knows what corners he is cutting, but is willing to cut them "for a greater good," fighting fire with fire, so to speak. I'm sorry, but dishonest politics taints even the best causes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home